Monday, November 16, 2009

Winter is Rushing in





A new chapter of my life has begun. My son Liam Robert is here. His official entrance to the world was @ 2:23 a.m. October 28, 2009. At birth he was 7 lbs 13 oz. and 21 inches long. The guessing game nightmare is finally over. We are completely taken with him- if you can imagine. He has brown hair and brown eyes. Definitely his mothers doing. I'll love him in spite of it. As we pass from autumn to winter my little family has had to make some big changes. Some were results of choices we made and knew the outcomes. Such as moving into a new home in a new city and of course the addition of Liam. Others were not planned and we have found ourselves simply trying to cope with and accept. Such as the passing of our sweet little puppy Lilly. She was hit by a car and from my observations would have died instantly. My father was at our house waiting for us to return so he and I could go and cut wood on the land. He had an unusual expression and seemed pretty somber. I thought he was upset from having to wait too long for us to get back in from town. He told me that he had found Lilly shortly after he arrived at the house. We concluded that all things happen for a reason and so it was with the passing of Lilly and the mercy of neither Sara or having to be the discoverers of her in that condition (Dad had kindly taken care of her and placed her in a box). We buried her beneath the old, old maple tree and had a little gathering where she lay. Viki and Laura came up and made dinner for us. We were glad for their support and understanding. Many people would think us strange for carrying on so about a dog. But, she was not just a dog to us. She was a family member and a dear friend. It still hurts to think of the loss. But it is easier now. Time really does mend broken hearts. We will never forget her, however, and she rests in my heart and mind not so much as a memory but as a feeling as real as a cool breeze or the sun on your skin, the smell of the sea air and the sounds of the forest. Those are the kinds of things that once you experience will never leave you. They become a part of you. They are gifts from our Maker as Lilly was and I will forever be grateful for the gift Lilly was and continues to be. So, as the sun has set on the life of a dear friend it has risen on another... my son, who has just begun his sojourn on this sphere. I hope to be a guide to him along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment